Total Pageviews

Monday, August 15, 2011

It's Magic!

leaves in early May


four naked stalks poking up through daylily leaves

last week's buds 


soft pink flowers with a hint of blue 

most stalks ever!
A fun wonder to have in the garden is the Magic Lily-Lycoris squamigera. They're magical because a clump of strappy leaves appear in early spring but then disappear. In August I begin to search for the bare stalks that seem to shoot up overnight. I'm so excited this year because it's the first time since I planted these bulbs in 2002 that all three are blooming! The largest clump has bloomed the past two years and once before in 2006.  Last year it had two flower stalks but this year it has four! I love the pastel rosy pink with a slight blue tinge color. These plants are a protected zone four hardiness and are doing well on the east side of my house. I thank my mom for introducing the magic to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment