Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Funkie Gardens

   Last week Mom and I traveled a little ways to Marine on St. Croix, north of Stillwater, Minnesota. We went to visit Funkie Gardens, a nursery specializing in hostas and rare perennials. We went looking for the mini hosta 'Holy Mouse Ears' and whatever else we might find. We both love discovering what smaller, specialty growers have to offer.
   Once we arrived we found how many "mouse" hostas there are! After doing more research at home I discovered there are at least 18 different varieties. Mom got the 'Holy Mouse Ears' she had looked for all summer. I decided on 'Frosted Mouse' and 'Snow Mouse'. So many choices of these tiny wonders, some way out of our price range. We checked out all the other hosta offerings and I found another tiny one called 'Teeny Weeny Bikini'. I also picked out 'Diana Remembered',a full sized hosta. I had a small hosta named 'Miss Susie' on my list to look for but didn't see any. I asked and the helpful person chatting with my talkative mom went and found one for me. It wasn't potted because they were small but I popped it in the garden as soon as I got home. Mom and I both picked out a few more perennials and I reserved a couple of Martagon Lily bulbs which will be dug later in September. I've never had these before but have read about them and wanted to try them.
   It was so nice to talk to someone who is knowledgable about the plants they offer.  When going to local garden centers I feel like we know as much or more than some of the help. We also like finding plants that aren't widely available. There's also a fun gift shop next door with lots of garden accessories. After stopping for lunch in Stillwater we headed home with our treasures.
   I will have to get the new things planted this week before I go back to work at school next week. My lazy, carefree summer days are coming to an end very soon!

                 Some of what's blooming  in the gardens today
new phlox 'Aureole'

new Hosta 'Teeny Weeny Bikini'

new Hosta 'Diana Remembered'

 Hibiscus 'Plum Crazy'

awesome purple pods on hyacinth bean!

Hyacinth bean flowers

Sedum 'Abbeydore' 

Joe Pye Weed

Rose 'Pink Grootendorst'

'Blue Heaven' little bluestem

'Prairie Sky' Switchgrass

unnamed phlox

'Pink Beauty' Potentilla



'Little Lamb' Hydrangea

'Pinky Winky' Hydrangea

'Tiger Eyes' Sumac already turning color
 

No comments:

Post a Comment