Total Pageviews

Friday, May 16, 2014

May Bloom Day

It's been quite some time since my last post but I don't spend much time gardening during the winter, although I do have blooms inside even when it's snowing outside. With the school year and all the holidays, gardening gets pushed down the priority list for me. Once the snow begins to melt, things change and I can't wait for green and colors and all the fun in the garden to start again. Even though it's been another cool spring things in the garden wake up from their slumber and do their thing for another season. I am amazed how this happens every year no matter how cold or snowy the long winter has been.

February snowstorm.
My daughter and I were stranded overnight after enjoying an evening at a dinner theater in another city.


My kitchen garden window

My chalk talk for March. So true!

Blooming bougainvillea with view of snowy backyard

Let the gardening begin!

Shopping day 2

Fern heads

Glory of the Snow

'Gold Heart' Bleeding Heart- first to bloom this year


My favorite flower of spring- ruffled pansies. They make me happy!

Pulmonaria 'Smokey Blue'

Bergenia
This hasn't bloomed in a few years so I was excited to see two flower stalks.

a tiny iris I've had for years from my mom's gardens

New Mother's Day birdbath from my husband, one of our new solar lights and a few of the new tulips I planted last fall. I'm sure the critters got some of them but was happy to see quite a few came up and are blooming. I will buy more this year from Costco.

Pasque flowers. This one self seeded on the rock steps

Not a great year for this 'Royal Star' magnolia but it has a few flowers and didn't die over winter. Excited to try the new variety called 'Centennial Blush' from Baileys nursery here in Minnesota.

Spied these pretty little violets in back yard. Didn't plant them but a different variation of what I had. I love surprises!

Flowering Ornamental Cherry

I love the spring blooms and the exfoliating bark(although I hope the crack I see on this side will heal over and not damage the tree too much)

1 comment:

  1. Lovely Spring colors... and I'm jealous of your nursery hauls! I hope all you folks up North enjoy a lush, bountiful gardening season, after such a long winter. Love the mix of colors in the Pulmonaria and ruffled pansies.

    Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete